This article applies to the following UHF base kits with Observant X1 base unit:
- BX-12 Base Kit with X1, 6dB UHF Antenna, 12m Antenna Cable
- BX-25 Base Kit with X1, 6dB UHF Antenna, 25m Antenna Cable
Base kit installation
- Locate the base kit X1 in close proximity to mains power and an available Ethernet connection.
- Install the base unit antenna in a convenient location (e.g. on the roof of the building). Ensure the antenna is placed at a location reachable from the X1 unit using the supplied antenna cable.
- Secure the base antenna to a pole, or directly to the roof, using the u-bolts provided.
- Connect the base antenna to the X1 using the cable provided.
- Connect the X1 to an available Ethernet port using a standard Ethernet cable.
- Power up the X1 using the power pack supplied.
- Locate the X1 serial code label and make a note of the X1 serial code. This is in the format C-0XXXX where XXXX is a 4-digit number.
- When these steps are complete, advise your Observant dealer of the X1 serial code. This is used by the Observant support team to uniquely identify your Observant system.
- If the base unit antenna is secured using guide wires, ensure that insulation blocks are used to help safeguard against lightning and interference with other radio equipment. In areas of high lightning activity a lightning arrester is recommended to protect equipment from lightning strikes.
- Do not position the base or field unit antenna near metallic objects that absorb radio signals, e.g. water tanks.
- Do not position the antenna within 3 metres of other transmitting or receiving devices, e.g. UHF antennas, TV antennas, satellite dishes and HF transceivers.
The Observant X1 should be able to connect to Global through any Ethernet connection that meets the following requirements:
- the network has a DHCP server (usually your router or modem) that supplies IP addresses to devices on the network
- no proxy server is used to control internet access on the network
In more general terms, if a laptop or desktop computer can be connected to an Ethernet port and can access the Internet without any special network configuration or entry of a user name and password, the X1 should be able to establish a connection to Global